Read more about the article Costing out Ground/Trail/Jump Poles and Cavaletti
Making Stablemate (1:32) Scale Cavaletti

Costing out Ground/Trail/Jump Poles and Cavaletti

Costing out Cavaletti and Ground Poles

I’m trying to round out the Etsy store a bit, so I figure it was time to get the rest of the props ready to list… and right now that’s just the poles and cavaletti!

Which means I really need to start thinking of new props to try and build in 2017. *ponders*

Anywho.

I’ve gone over the steps of how to make Stablemate scale ground/trail/jump poles and cavaletti in an earlier posts, so all I’m doing here is a rundown on what materials are used and how much they cost. If you’ve read other ‘Materials Cost’ tag posts, you’ll know the drill. 😉

(more…)

Continue ReadingCosting out Ground/Trail/Jump Poles and Cavaletti
Read more about the article The Mini Whinnie Condunrum
Mini Whinnies Surprise Series 2 Pulling Draft Horse

The Mini Whinnie Condunrum

Pulling Draft Horse

I love painting Mini Whinnies and have a small army of them in the body box waiting for new colors. But as always my fear of ‘painting the LAST one’ has kicked in and now I’m trying to confirm that I can replace anything I customize.

Times have changed since I last stocked the body box and Breyer Mini Whinnies are only available via the blind bag Surprise Series. This makes them both crazy expensive (compared to the old offerings) and impossible to tell what you are going to get. Looking at this year’s series and last year’s series it seems that only five of the adult molds are going to be available each year.

Yikes!

(more…)

Continue ReadingThe Mini Whinnie Condunrum

Costing out the Plaster Magnets

Averaging Plaster Weights

Now that I have figured out the perfect mix to use when I’m making plaster magnets, it’s time to start figuring out their actual costs so I can get all the prices in the Etsy store updated! 🙂

Per my plaster mix experiment post 20ml plaster = $0.28

Since most of my magnets are tiny, my attempts at measuring how many ml of mix went into each were a dismal failure. So instead, I went with an average weight.

I piled a bunch of the casts onto a postal scale and then calculated the average. Once I’ve worked through all the bodies I have, I’ll make a few 10 item batches of each small mold to measure how many ml are used.

The kittenloaf used 20ml and the average weight is 0.7oz, so I’m using a 1oz = $0.40.

Magnets will be added as I work out the costs, so not all of them will appear here at first…

(more…)

Continue ReadingCosting out the Plaster Magnets