After painting a bunch of male cardinals I figured it would be fun to do a female colorway!
Capturing the soft browns and grays was a lot of fun and I was very grateful to have the birdfeeders out front. There’s nothing quite like a first hand peek to see if you’re getting the colors right!
To make up for the lighter bird, I built up the evergreen branches a bit more. The camera isn’t the best at capturing the range of colors, so everything looks a little harsher in some of the lights, but I had a good time taking a bunch of different shots to try and get it right.
The ornament is completely handmade! It was sculpted by me in Super Sculpey Firm, I created the OOMOO 30 mold, and I cast them in white Amazing Casting Resin. It currently has a thin green ribbon that can be easily removed. The resin is quite sturdy, so you should be able to use it with any hooks you already have.
The cardinal ornaments weigh an average of 0.6oz, are approximately 2.75 inches tall and 2 inches wide. They are roughly 1/8th of an inch thick at the body, but most of the ornament is around 1/4th of an inch or less.
Medium: Liquitex White Gesso, FolkArt Acrylics (2900 Cardinal Red, 425 Medium Gray), and Apple Barrel Acrylics (21390 Khaki, 21470 Ripe Tomato, 21386 Arbor Green, 20530 Wedgewood Green, 20504 Black)