This little guy was the eventual evolution of the splatterpaint technique I hashed out for the faux-decorator style of Florentine Flip. I did use the same technique for realistic roaning, but there’s nothing like staying true to your fantasy roots!
This is one of the few horses where I know exactly which colors I used. The three Liquitex paints listed above are all relatively translucent, which I thought would create a sort of stained glass look to the splatters. As you can see on the close-up, I came pretty close to my goal.
I started with a basecoat of white guesso, then did alternating layers of the three colors. He was finished off with a light blue wash to bring some depth to the pattern. (Basically I stole the Sceenpainting technique used to keep set pieces from looking flat on stage.)
Finished with a nice high gloss, I think he turned out pretty awesome when all was said and done! Sadly I was the only one who thought so… he was on eBay for a long time before someone finally took him home.
Can’t win ’em all, I suppose.
Medium: Liquitex Phthalocyanine Green, Liquitex Phthalocyanine Blue, Liquitex Dioxazine Purple
Status: Painted 2004 and Sold December 2004