Mold: Saddlebred (G2)
Color: Bay Sabino Roan (Red Roan)
Medium: Acrylics, Prismacolor Pencils
Status: Painted 200? and Sold 200?
This little gal is one of my earlier customs, as you can tell by the heavy use of prismacolor pencils in the roaning. I was primarily a 2D artist before starting customizing model horses, so I was more inclined towards a multimedia approach in the beginning.
Although I moved into straight acrylics, I’m gradually moving back into a similar methodology now…
This custom is another one where I could have used a bit more research before I started working. Skyfire was originally intended to be a true roan—I only learned later that sabino roans are the only ones with mixed manes and tails. While I got the solid colored head and legs correct, it’s enough to kick her out of the running in a show.
The Prismacolor pencils did make for an interesting effect, although it was one that worked better in photos than in-hand. I think if I went back with proper reference photos and hair growth charts I might be able to pull it off using this technique—but it may be that pencils are a better fit for larger scales.
Stablemate and Microminis have a tendency to work better with softer details. Trying to get individual hairing patterns done in the correct scale can be quite a headache (and a strain on your pencil sharpener).