1. “Nothing is worth losing him again.”
2. The tree swing is old enough that the rope has rotted through on one side, leaving the wooden seat dragging against the ground. It bumps against the tree roots and drags across the sandy soil as the wind nudges it, quiet tock-scrape-tock’s that make the house seem even more abandoned.
3. Neilson’s magic nullifiers work at first, but as the spaceships pass through the comet’s shadow, the electronics start to spark and fail.
4. Fast food slowly gives way to diners and then to proper restaurants as you head into the ‘historic’ district. Things slow down as the prices go up and the food is meant to savor and not satiate.
5. The golden chains are woven from a thousand prayers and she loops their fervent whispers around his wings.