1. He walks into the excavation, running hands along stone walls that haven’t seen the sun in centuries. As he moves his magic expands, illuminating everything crafted by human hands in a soft blue glow.
2. The late afternoon rains continue into winter, sometimes shifting into snow or sleet but always starting as the sun sinks behind the mountains.
3. The animatron has life, but no soul. It’s just a windup toy for grown-ups and she leaves the last shreds of her hope behind her in the exhibit.
4. It isn’t until the invasion fleet vanishes from their orbit and reappears at Fleet Command that they realize the aliens were serious about being able to ‘pray them away.’
5. “I meant to buy you flowers, and books, and trips to all the places you’d dreamed of visiting. I meant to make your life into a fairy tale– but not every beast earns its happy endings.”