1. The city talks to him in his sleep, quiet whispers that churn like distant waves. He hears her, but he doesn’t hear her and wakes with knowledge that he chalks up to hunches and good luck.
2. “They weren’t important.”
“To you! Only to you!”
3. Grandma’s backyard is filled with fireflies and memories. Worn wooden steps lead down into a yard that’s half sand and half stubborn grass sprinkled liberally with prickly pears.
4. The dragon’s eyes are clouded with age but the massive head follows her unerringly as she walks down the stone steps to its prison floor.
5. Nothing is wasted out here in the void. They cling to every atom they can, but every second of every day the ancient ships and the last gasp of life from a long-dead world… decays.
Leave a Reply