1. Space is littered with ghosts of peaceful, quiet deaths. Lost ships manned by confused spirits that never noticed that they’d died. It’s my job to keep them from the shipping lanes, guiding people and machinery to a final rest.
2. He was cute, but unless his flashy beaded bracelet was lying, he was also a were-leopard and she’d sworn off dating felines.
3. Tallow candles and gaslights flicker along the hallways, no electricity is wasted here on pleasantries.
4. “We’re alive? We’re ALIVE!” For a heartbeat, there’s a surge of incandescent joy that washes out everything else. This time they’ve pulled off the impossible.
5. The hamster is under the refrigerator. Again. He glares at the furry convict and it glares right back, unrepentant and nibbling on dropped sunflower seeds.