1. The more complicated life became the more generalized the Destinies. There were just too many people, too many possibilities for Lachesis to do more than measure the basic outlines of urban lives.
2. “Most people just pay the fine,” the county clerk said as he handed over the next pile of paperwork to be signed for the formal objection.
3. They watch as the supernova arcs across the sky in a terrifying splash of destruction, but the light is thousands of years old and too far away to harm them.
4. The first ships that sail after the war are rusting freighters, hollowed out for scraps and put to sea with minimal propulsion. They won’t risk too much on false hope– If there is a world beyond the shore, there’s no proof of it. Not anymore.
5. I’d almost think this was real, but the birds all have bat wings so I know I’m still caught in the Dreaming.