Alrighty, it’s the first day of August and time for the first weekly update!
I was hoping to have a bit more to report on, but I ended up sort of churning in place for a few projects. My brain is constantly reiterating over things and I have a habit of doing endless tweaking. Something I was hoping to learn how to combat with the serial story but… oh well, gotta keep trying!
I finished out this month’s Camp NaNoWriMo event having met my word count goal (8k), but nowhere near where I’d hoped to be with Borrowed Wings.
I’m having a hard time finding the right voice to tell the story with and I’ve waffled back and forth several times. At the moment I went ahead and split out just the first scene (Elye running away from the murder site) out into its own Episode.
I’m not sure how to swap POV threads if I limit each episode to a single scene… but I figure I’ll work on this until I’m happy with the pacing, worldbuilding, and ‘voice’.
I’m waffling on what to do for NaNoWriMo proper this year. I may start a new story, I may keep working on this one. I’m definitely going to participate either way! 😁
I got the SSP posts done for 7/31, 8/7, 8/14, and 8/21 done. There are 18 more posts to write (90 prompts total, 36 new ones) and then this year will be done. I could push through and get them all done in August… which is tempting.
I finally bit the bullet and committed to no longer doing ‘fancy’ images for the new prompts. I was originally going to wait until next year, but they take much too long to make and my plain text ones seem to get more traffic on Pinterest.
I made 7 of the 92 missing images (still in the fancy style). These take longer to do than taglines but they make the blog archives look nicer. There are 23 weeks left in this year, which means if I do four a week I’ll actually have them done.
Updating the archives has been a long time coming.
I wrote 3 of the 167 missing taglines. I need to finish these up as well as remove references to weekends and NaNoWriMo events. (That way the blurbs make more sense when reposted on random dates & months). This will most likely turn into a 2022 project.
I made zero progress on the SSP ebooks, so I may hold off on trying to get any more of those done until next year. I’m not sure how much time the new job will burn up yet and I don’t want to commit to anything big.
I didn’t do any work on the mailing list or on the Patreon plans this week, but I’ve dug up my old notes and I’m starting to think about it in really big picture terms. I may end up with one Patreon for the SSPs, one each for the serial novels, and one for the artwork… or I may just stuff them all together for REASONS. 😂
That’s All She Wrote (for now)
I’m taking today to rework my Bullet Journal layout again (I try and tweak it every week) since the layout for the last two weeks didn’t work well. I don’t think I want to go back to the hand-sewn mini-journals, but I really didn’t get the sense of accomplishment with the new spread that I did with the minis.
I’ve got the rough draft of a post on how to make the mini journals that I’ll be posting sometime this week (hopefully). They turned out to be a really good way to test out some layout ideas!
I may go back to using them for daily tracking and just keep the weekly/monthly tracking in the larger book. Maybe. 🤔