1. Singing is the one thing that brings her back from where her mind has trapped her. They cajole her into joining them in gospel songs, ancient show tunes– even commercial jingles bring the spark back to her eyes and the flutter of recognition to their interactions.
2. “No, no, tell me again how all this was for my own good. I really liked the part where you lectured me on how dangerous it is and how unprepared I am.”
3. Having a water dragon for an adopted brother meant his childhood was filled with pranks and crazy adventures that left them soaked more often than not.
4. The colonists are blind to the heavy magic that surrounds them, thanks to careful selection and constant screening. Even the hint of potential during the testing is enough to trigger reassignment and this time she knows she’ll fail.
5. The beach is littered with tourists who mill about in an unorganized, chaotic frenzy. They’ve come to Relax and Unwind and they’re damned if they waste precious vacation hours waiting their turn. Their dance is echoed by seagulls and pigeons who battle it out over scraps and perches along the piers. Somewhere in that mess is the calming waves, clean sands, and deep settling weight of the ocean she came for… but she’s swiftly realizing she won’t find it here.