1. Apples are in season and on sale, hundreds of fruits stacked in glorious excess along the walls. She buys them recklessly, heaping years’ worth of cravings into her cart. Her mother isn’t here to stop her now.
2. Coming down the cliffs is something you do once in a lifetime. The trip itself takes years and only the healthiest among the pilgrims survive the journey to the sacred valley.
3. The evening fog is heavier than usual and she can barely see an arm’s length ahead, but the pocketwatch tugs her gently in the right direction.
4. Space battles are fought by computers, the strikes and counterstrikes moving too fast for human reflexes to keep pace. Once the alarm sounds there’s nothing they can do but huddle in the reinforced bunks and hope the ship survives.
5. “Don’t burn that!” She knocked the dried vines aside with a blast of air, just before they hit the flames. “That stuff’s catnip to fire drakes, they’ll burn the forest down chasing the smoke.”