1. It’s amazing how fast he can change their moods with a plate of food. For a while there are mutters and side-eyes from the mages until the magistrate investigates and declares him a chef and not a witch.
2. The ocean is wide, but the song is low and deep and it carries her plea out from the harbor waters to her kin.
3. “Someday you’ll regret this.”
“Maybe, but right now I gotta say it feels pretty dammed good.”
4. Dan’s death threw the team off-kilter and they missed the subtle twist in the quantum streams of the ship’s computers. Ghosts are no more real than AIs, but over the weeks even the strongest skeptic was convinced that something happened in the server room that day.
5. Without wood or stone, there’s no way to build walls that can stop the Eastern army’s steam-powered walkers and even their strongest ropes aren’t enough to topple them.