1. The watch is made from fairy gold, ephemeral but entrancing and he can’t bring himself to trade it away before it turns to rose petals with the sunrise.
2. “There’s nothing here,” the alien objected as his human co-pilot looked out over the lifeless rocky horizon of the new planet. “We knew that before you took the detour, so why?”
3. She spent finals in a haze of caffeine and highlighter fumes, frantically chasing the perfect scores her brother had left as their family’s legacy.
4. Pet foretelling demons were a pastime of the rich, no one else could afford the complex mix of chemicals that kept the poor things alive after they were summoned.
5. He collects molted feathers, shed antlers, and dry weathered bones, building a shrine to the forest that had been.