1. “He meant to kill you,” Awen objected as Phil triaged the wounded assassin. “Seems the polite thing to do would be to kill him back.”
2. After the worst has passed and humanity begins to claw itself back out of the ruins, what little electricity is left comes from dams controlled by local militias, benign and otherwise.
3. The storm fades until the air is still and cold, as if the whole world stopped breathing when she did.
4. Dragons have a strictly transactional society, every interaction based on complex layers of give and take built on centuries of shared history– all of which looks incoherently random to the human settlers.
5. She fires off another volley from the needler as she draws a protection ward in the dust with her foot. There’s hardly any dirt on the ship, but the hardened ceramic hull remembers what it used to be.