1. They salvage the suburbs with tired efficiently, moving from house to house, leaving behind empty burning shells– a salted wasteland for the armies that follow.
2. Music flows from the well at night, soft somber orchestral tunes that seep out between the bricks and reverberate in her bones.
3. “Why fight fate? It’ll all end badly anyway– embrace it!”
4. The first thing the colonists do is domesticate the wildlife; they’ve learned over the decades the best defense against unknowns is the fauna that evolved to eat it.
5. Channeling magic burns calories at an incredible rate, even the unconscious manipulations we do in our sleep. The hardest part about being a wizard is eating enough —often enough– to keep from starving to death.