1. It takes a rare type of personality to leave Earth knowing you’ll never come back and embracing those consequences, but we’re a planet of billions and I’m not on this shuttle alone.
2. The dorms are bleak uncompromising slashes across the sky. The metal and concrete monsters are ‘modern elegance’ per the brochures, but she can’t help but feel dwarfed and uncomfortable as the tour moves by.
3. “It’ll cost more to fix it than it’s worth,” the jeweler said, examining the watch with puzzled annoyance. “It’s pretty enough– Why does it matter if it works?”
4. He’d grown up in the wide emptiness of the open plains, where neighbors were few and far between. It wasn’t until he moved to the city that he realized he could see ghosts.
5. It’s the empaths that feel it first– the deep singsong call echoing through the alien forest, luring them away from the settlement’s defenses.