1. The playing cards are just placeholders for their magic, transactional markers for the currents that do the real work underneath.
2. She scrimps and saves, waiting for the off-season sales that supplement her wardrobe and elevate its thrift store foundations. One good piece can lift her from where she is to where she knows she’s meant to be and she hoards her treasures against that day.
3. Every living thing in the valley falls asleep as soon as the sun goes down, an unnatural hush following the shadows down the hillside.
4. It wasn’t healthy to be weightless for too long, as the ship’s robotic caretaker kept reminding him, but there was something indescribably graceful about zero gravity.
5. “I want what you can’t give me, but that doesn’t make me a bad person.”