1. He’s lost an eye, but in its place is a crystal clockwork that shows him so much more than color.
2. My mother’s ghost has possessed each of my cars since I was old enough to drive, settling in and tweaking the safety measures as soon as the signature ink was dry. I tried to exorcise her once and she gave the priest such a talking to that he apologized.
3. It’s the sort of job only the truly desperate take and no one in this town was that far gone.
4. The guns trap their targets in timeloops a fraction of a second long, but the cantrap pulls its power from the sun and only lasts a few heartbeats this far outside the solar system.
5. “The price for success is the same as failure,” the lich said, thin papery skin reflecting oddly in the torchlight. “Turn back, or pay to take your chances.”