1. Four mice sit at the corners of the kitchen table, watching as she cooks. Without Grandmother around to sush them, the sounds of their tiny prayers mingle with the sizzle of the grilled cheese sandwiches.
2. Space might have been silent once, but now it hums with communications. Instead of one tiny planet broadcasting into the night we’ve got hundreds of thousands of ships, dozens of planets, and what seems like an infinite number of space station channels all chattering away.
3. “War makes everything a weapon,” the unicorn said as it cleaned its horn against a tree.
4. Once the floodgates are opened and the dam roars to life, you can’t hear anything over the constant churn of the generators.
5. Dancing is the only thing that grounds him anymore, lifts him up and away from the chaos even as it brings him back to the here-and-now.