1. We lost the first war for Earth before we’d realized it had begun, too distracted by the wonder of truly alien life to notice we’d been colonized. But our conquerors are careless and overconfident– we won’t make that mistake twice.
2. Evergreens blend into the summertime forests, but once winter hits the strong green beacons of the King’s Pines mark out the roads as far as the eye can see.
3. It’s only a cup of coffee, what can it hurt?
4. Salt crusts along the driplines as the ships push south, building thick stalactites of brine and coal dust that eventually crack off into the sea.
5. “I wish you’d be more careful,” he said once the dust had settled. “One of these days it really is going to be the farmboy of destiny and those arrows won’t miss.”