1. Startled silence follows the outburst and uneasily cascades into a longer pause. They still haven’t made a decision, but no one is willing to restart the argument.
2. If you worked for long enough on the maternity ward you’d see them, ghostly shadows that hovered on the edges of sight and the purr-hiss-click of thread being spun and measured and cut.
3. Sunlight fades back across the hillsides, chased by the winter winds and howls of distant wolves.
4. “I told you I never wanted power,” the Dark Lord said as he finished painting the spell in midnight ink. “I have explicitly– repeatedly told you what would happen if I won.” Two drops of blood complete the ritual and in an instant magic vanishes from the world.
5. Nothing about the planet is known, they’ve crashed too far off the path of exploration. So they treat every plant, insect, and animal as toxic until proven otherwise— it’s infuriating to starve waiting on the results, but there aren’t enough of them left to take any chances.