1. The Baron’s son runs screaming from the hall and the crown once again lies docile on the throne, waiting for the next challenger to face its tests.
2. “I don’t want a dog,” he objects as the mud-covered mutt happily falls in step beside him. “I have no place to you put you. I have no idea what to feed you– Just go back to what you were doing before you got stuck.”
3. Viewports are disabled during skips to High and Low space. Sensory inputs in the alterspaces are distorted enough that human brains can’t process them correctly. As much fun as it is to smell yellow and sing along with blue, it makes it hard to concentrate.
4. The pod calls out, each whale’s song reverberating in chorus with the storm. Somewhere in the cold voids of the sea something ancient stirs.
5. Local guns are raw uncultured things and she picks one up with a sigh, longing for the artistry of home.