1. The boiler safety valves have been soldered shut. He tossed the shrapnel to the officer to confirm. “This was murder, not accident.”
2. As soon as they leave shipbuilding, each starship quickly becomes its own unique combination of scrounged parts and jury-rigged fixes. Everyone knows you aren’t a real captain until the Recovery and Repair teams have been by enough to give you a nickname.
3. No one’s prepared for how disorganized the government really is when a proper disaster strikes, but we elected them to battle legislation, not an alien invasion… so we can’t complain that much.
4. She sneaks scraps of fabric off the dressmaker’s floor, crafting tiny sympathetic magics for luck and love.
5. The feast is a week-long affair and as honored guests, they’re involved in every step of food preparation from the selection and butchering of the meats to the harvesting and processing of vegetables and grains. It’s an intense bonding experience and at the end when they sit down to eat, they’ve found an unexpected comradery that smooths negotiations.