1. Their minds are overlapped, past and present entwined until she’s lost in memories of things that haven’t yet been.
2. Cracks litter the sidewalk where winter storms and tree roots have done battle with the concrete. Small tufts of grass and even a brave dandelion or two grow in the gaps in defiance of the city’s attempt to snuff them out.
3. The smoke churns with feline forms, fading in and out, as the fire rolls down the road fueled by their vengeance.
4. “Just keep talking,” she said as she checked his eyes. “I don’t care about what– I need to know if you pass out once I start working.”
5. Ceramic false-scales safely deflect the heat even as the ventilators kick in so he can breathe. It’s working, it’s really working! He will be the first dragon to fall from space and his heart sings with the glory in it.