1. There’s no easy way to tell someone you used to have wings.
2. “Buses stopped coming here a long time ago,” he says to the ghost waiting at the stop. It’s been here for weeks and he’s got a soft heart for runaways. “Hop in, I’ll take you home.”
3. Jade scales, pockmarked by asteroids and cannon fire, are draped in haphazard loops around the space station. The massive dragon has woven itself in among the struts to sleep and refuses to move.
4. They’ve never said ‘I love you’ because that would make this real and neither of them could survive it.
5. From the sky, the eastern forest is a wide flat expanse, its relentless upwards growth halted by the thick northern air currents whose acid burns the leaf tips.