1. Jumping here is one breath short of flying and they spend more time playing than rational scientists ought to.
2. Forty people died when the building’s southern boilers exploded. There’s a memorial plaque and a new cinder block wall, but that won’t bring my brother back.
3. “It is my comet now,” said the dragon, unimpressed. “Shoo.”
4. Unnatural whispers follow them through the swamp, dancing among the cypress roots and echoing across the still, fetid waters. A trick of the wind or a trick of the mind, it’s enough to send them into nervous giggles when a turtle splashes into the water and they both jump.
5. Humans are bad at long-term planning, but computers are quick to pick up the slack. When they happen, our first steps into the emptiness beyond the stars take us all by surprise.