1. All around them the world rejoices, oblivious to their loss.
2. Established colonies were more open to unskilled labor, but just try and get a berth on an alpha-ship without at least two doctorates and they’d laugh you right out of the recruiting station.
3. “I never meant to start– this,” he waved a frantic hand at the projected map that masked brutality with statistics. “All I wanted was to stop them from hurting someone else.”
4. Owls nap lazily on perches scattered about the massive aerie. Carved generations ago by unknown hands, the nest and stone branches are carefully sheltered from the winds. Tonight, the full moon lurks on the horizon and every perch is full, from tiny elf owls to massive great grays, all waiting in staggered clusters around the royal eggs.
5. Glamours are the most useful of her magics, transforming comfortable clothes into something more appropriate with a subtle flick of fingers.