1. “Every night I go to bed and close my eyes, just to open them a moment later in another world. When I was young there were only two realities, but now? Now there are dozen of lives and it’s been so long, I can’t remember which one isn’t a dream.”
2. They feed the seedpods into the campfire, giggling and sprinting with happy squeals as they explode. They try to catch the roasted seeds spiraling through the air but are laughing too hard to concentrate.
3. They dressed like Mad Max to scare interlopers and Victorians to soothe diplomats.
4. We stopped aiming for a place to land after the first few disasters. Now when we head out into space, we build our own destinations instead.
5. When the eyes grind open, there’s a cold, mad intelligence that dances in those lantern lights.