1. There’s a pool deep in the caves where you sacrifice the futures that could have been.
2. “Ah, there’s your problem!” She reached in past the main flywheel, oblivious to the dangers, and tugged something loose. “You’ve lost three teeth from the converter gear.”
3. Dark magic has been outlawed for generations, but this is a planetary war–extinction and humanity has lost the luxury of playing nice.
4. She’s more beautiful than anyone he’s ever met, graceful and ethereal, hovering on the edge of inhumanity where photoshopped models live.
5. Clouds of coal dust linger for days after they blow the mines.