1. “All this for a pair of shoes?” She sounds tired and disillusioned, but no longer angry as she looks down at the boots and he wonders if he might survive this after all.
2. The funeral pyres burn in dim blues and purples, a muted echo of the celebration fires that light the cities.
3. Commercial space travel is fast and efficient, done in hops between known points, through giant spiral gates that twist the dimensions in a mathematical vise. Exploratory travel beyond the gates is fusion-powered: slow, boring, and a great way to get away from your troubles at home.
4. There’s a thin line between replacing sick flesh and replacing weak flesh and some cybernetic doctors won’t hesitate to cross it if you pay well enough.
5. The enemy archers target their boilers with small explosive arrows that chip away at the armor plating. If they breach the armor– he tries not to think about it as they huddle behind the automaton grinding its way towards the gates.