1. If it were any other man, the walking cane wouldn’t be worth a second look, but this is was Herr Böttcher and he was the magician’s magician. Her fingers itched to steal it away and unravel the science behind the mysteries.
2. There’s a limit to how much the telepaths can translate for the ambassadors. Shared terms and ideas are easy, but there are some concepts too alien to put into human words.
3. He woos her with dragon scales and basilisk tears.
4. “This is what you dream about?” He looked around, confused. “I thought there’d be giant piles of money and epic mansions on the beach filled with pretty people desperate to be your friend.”
5. The highlight of every market trip is the road past the Ivanov farm. As soon as you pass the first marker the rough muddy mess turns into a meticulously tended paradise. Cracked paving stones are carefully mended, mud and debris are whisked away, and the fencelines are lined with blackberries and raspberries.