1. “Stop thinking about this in absolutes,” he tugged at his cell phone until she reluctantly let it go. He sighed and closed out the destiny app.
2. She loves him with the power of youth, in a bright blinding way that washes out everything else to insignificance.
3. The grave mound is made of seashells, priceless this far from the sea, but no one is stupid enough to steal from the mermaid’s resting place.
4. It only takes a generation before the colonists stop referring to things as ‘dog-sized’ or ‘tastes like chicken’ and swap over to local equivalents.
5. Cats are terrified of magic. They can catch its unnatural scent from blocks away and vanish into safe hiding spaces. Dogs are oblivious to the dangers and will track the smell without hesitation or thought to its nuances. It’s the rats she relies on to ride on her shoulders and warn her of the subtle ebbs and flows.