1. Ash clogs the intake valves and gums the gears, forcing them to stop every five miles and clean.
2. “But if you know everyone’s destinies, why can’t you stop them?””She pointed to the ugly snarl in the weave three years ahead. “Change something so that doesn’t happen!”
“We’ve tried.” Lachesis ran her fingers over the tangle, feeling the echoes of pain and terror. “Our tools won’t work on the weave itself, but we’ve tried to directly intervene on earth in the past. It’s only made things worse. Never better.”
3. Parrots are quick studies when there’s food involved and soon the music –and the message they’ve hidden within it– is spreading through the city.
4. Childhoods are never the same story twice. He samples their memories as he passes through the crowds, leaching away the worst of the pain and suffering to power his magic and leaving the nightmares faded in his wake.
5. The colony’s first wave kids like to lord that status over the rest of us, as if having to grow up without all the benefits of the later waves somehow made them superior.