1. Math, not magic, is what summons the first visitors from another world and they marvel at the massive automaton that is our gateway to the stars.
2. She goes to make him breakfast, but his cupboards are nothing but canned vegetables and ramen with a few mismatched bowls languishing in the sink, edges chipped and glaze crazing from haphazard care.
3. My mom owns a bar down on the edge of the college, serving food to the underage and spirits to the rest. If anyone ever questioned how she could tell at a glance which was which, they never said, but they also never caught on that she could help everyone with their homework no matter the major. Kids know more than they think they do, they just aren’t as good at finding things in their own heads as Mom is.
4. Fire is easy to summon, it’s always been her easiest parlor trick, but calling snowflakes from the summer air is something she’s been chasing ever since she saw her first snowfall.
5. “I’ve settled more worlds than you can count kid,” he leaned over and hit the kill switch. “I don’t care what the computer says, it’s not safe.”