1. Looking into the emptiness between the stars, knowing that the darkness is actually filled with the faint light of millions of distant suns gives her hope enough to cling to.
2. They carry their memories on woven leather bracelets. Bits of carved stone and shell mark out the story of their lives for anyone to read, if they get close enough.
3. “You’ll only find what you are looking for,” he tapped the cover of her textbook. “So you find the mundane, the everyday, and miss the things you aren’t. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t there.”
4. Her family’s bred farm dogs for generations now and no one’s quite sure what they started with. The neighbors joke that there’s black bear somewhere in the mix, but when her cousin sends out the DNA test it comes back as error and unknown.
5. She’s worked on more doomed ships than she likes to admit, but two beers from last call the stories of hulls and heartaches long past bubble to the surface.