1. It turned out to be easier to keep people alive during interstellar travel than it did to freeze them. So generation ships wandering among the stars– but they didn’t land when they got there. They just dropped off the portion of the population they needed to settle the planet and then moved on.
2. Magic tastes like mint, like blood, like chocolate– she wipes her mouth with the back of her hand and watches the sparks dance across her skin.
3. “You can’t just say something was fate after the fact,” she snapped. “Retroactive destinies are rubbish— give me a prophecy I can verify beforehand or go away.”
4. He can’t remember a time before the war, those childhood memories are lost in a hazy mist of smoke and thunder, and he’s not sorry. The life he has now, the rolling fields of crops, the comforting churn and hiss of the clockwork cows– He’ll take a thousand days of this over anything they might have lost.
5. Humanity has a burning need to slap names on everything from stars to asteroids, even if someone else has named it first.