1. The forest is unmapped and they leave a careful trail behind them in notched bark and white handprints along the rocks.
2. The taste of the wind tells her what sort of storm it will be: mint for thunder, cinnamon for rain, and the bright copper of a penny for tornadoes. She leans out the window, enraptured, she’s never tasted a hurricane before.
3. He paused at the doorway, frowning as they scrambled off the couch for clothes and rational explanations. “Don’t bother, I’ll be gone in a moment. If I cared, I’d kill you, but this is–” he sighed and shook his head. “This is just another annoyance in a miserable day.”
4. Magic kills everything it touches, but not fast enough that mankind doesn’t learn to use it anyway.
5. The tiny aliens don’t sleep, spending every few seconds in micronaps instead, and the very concept of dreaming fascinates them. Keeping them out of the sleeping quarters proves impossible and the crew slowly adjusts to always waking up with an audience