1. The sword is a living metal, capable of transforming into any shape and cutting through the hardest stones.
2. “It’s my destiny to be—” he trailed off, looking down at the battered history book where a much older, much grimmer version of himself looked back.
“A horrible person,” she finished, regretfully. “‘Irredeemably evil’, although that was written by the victors. Still, you are what the future requires if you want our magic to survive.”
3. Squirrels mocked them from the canopy, a constant stream of insults and dares filtering down through the browning leaves.
4. The Company maintains robotic guardians to patrol the empty swaths of space between planets. They scan the vacuum for ships gone silent, performing rescue or recovery for a nominal fee.
5. Traffic is backed up for miles and he watches the rain creep down the windows as the time to arrival counter on his phone ticks up.