1. They’ve built up a vast armada in preparation, a navy fit to defend against a thousand imagined horrors– but it turns out there’s no one there to fight.
2. Drops of molten silver hit his shoulder and roll slowly down the scales, hissing and sputtering as they cool.
3. “I can’t marry you! What sort of life would you have as a mercenary’s wife– sitting and waiting at home to hear if I live or die?”
“Who said I’d be staying home?”
4. They always pay in cash, a wad of dirty rumpled bills stained with things she’d rather not identify.
5. There are no flowers in the city, the fogs are too thick for greenery to survive. But if you go through the cellar door in my mother’s house you walk into a garden as lush and colorful as any queen’s.