1. Going into space was legally a one-way trip. Sure, we could still talk with family and friends planet-side, but we’d never really see them again.
2. The workhouses were full of the unfortunate, societies unwanted poor, and were a perfect spot to find ‘volunteers’. Almost anything was preferable to the drudge work of the house and while her work wasn’t safe, per se, it was certainly safer than most alternatives.
3. Demons dance in the twisting column of the waterspout, calling out mockingly at the ships below.
4. “I saw you here yesterday too,” he says in greeting, as if they weren’t standing on the edges of the bridge looking down into the winter-dark waters below.
5. Pines trees hover around the forest’s edges, forced to the periphery by the smothering growth of oaks and elms.