1. His grandmother used to say wishing only got you halfway to nothing, but she’d never met a dragon.
2. Summer skies are unfettered by the meteor storms of winter. As the sun sets they can feel the void seep into their bones.
3. The house isn’t booby-trapped so much as well fortified. The walls are laced with clockwork and each window and door can dance at a hidden command.
4. “I know it’s a one-way trip, but people take those all the time,” he was clearly frustrated but trying to be polite. “They just don’t realize that’s what’s happening. They have the illusion of return and I don’t, that’s the only difference.”
5. They’d be expecting her to use something small and discreet, so she enthralled flocks of pigeons instead. Hundreds of birds poured into the office building, more than any one mage could control at once, and she flicked from mind to mind as she pulled them inside.