1. The castle is built from milky white stone, each block carved by master stoneworkers long dead who turned the walls into interlocking puzzles that repel the mists as well as siege engines.
2. She’s tall in the gangly ungraceful way of youth, but it gives way to deadly elegance once the target is in range.
3. “More than one hero has come walking through that door,” he pointed out mildly without rising from the desk. “You’ll notice none of them has ever walked out it again.”
4. The sun flutters for a moment, as if the magic had actually shuttered it for one brief heartbeat.
5. When they reach the apex of the trip the spaceship’s engines cut off and they coast forward on the built momentum. For a month they exist in an unnerving silence, waiting for the deceleration burn to begin.