1. “Do you think there is anyone out there?” She leaned against the observation deck’s railing, but couldn’t quite touch the force field that held the vacuum at bay.
He shrugged. “Probably, but they’ll be dead long before we can get to them.”
“Always the optimist,” she sighed.
2. Surgery is a messy, sadistic sport, the viewing galleries are just as likely to be stuffed with monsters as with doctors.
3. The coins snap together in intricate cubes. Each increasingly complex combination is a new denomination, easily identified by touch.
4. Here on the edges, where the blue of the sky seeps through the leaves, they are safe. But the deep forest is a haven for things that thrive in the shadows.
5. Tiny dogs roam the compound, but these are wiry-haired and brutish– a far cry from the delicate lapdogs of home.