1. Freedom costs them everything they have and they go out into the world unfettered.
2. It takes her a moment to realize the room is colder than it ought to be, but once recognized the cause is obvious. She runs fingers along the copper tubes that line the far wall, each near ice-cold and dusted with frost.
3. “Don’t settle,” the albatross said. “Never settle. There’s an ocean out there as wide as your lifetime, don’t you dare tell me that the shore is enough.”
4. More than one AI has burnt out logic circuits trying to make sense of it all and I don’t have cycles to waste. They are smart enough to follow me and they aren’t vital to the mission… so I let them find their own chaotic way instead of trying to guide or protect them.
5. The clouds are heavy with iron, fine blood-red dust swept up from the wastelands of the battlefields.