1. The air is heavy with ghosts and she clutches her wardstone tighter as the expedition continues downwards.
2. Deep space is scattered with the remnants of a thousand civilizations that rose and fell long before we reached the stars. Decrepit satellites knocked out of orbit, the wreckage of ships and probes… it’s both statistically empty and depressingly full.
3. “The moment you stop trying the world wins,” he said, patching the newest bullet holes in his backpack with a few deft stitches. “Spite might be a horrible choice of motivation, but It’s the only thing keeping any of us alive.”
4. It might not be magic that draws water through the pipes, but she can’t help but watch the tiny waterfall with something akin to wonder.
5. I’ve taught the crows to warn me when strangers come down the drive. It’s worth the price in table scraps (and some false alarms) to avoid unpleasant company without leaving them any the wiser.