1. The sword glows duly in the firelight, the ancient magics worn to meer ghosts by the grind of time.
2. Most of the traffic is space isn’t manned, the skies are full of a vast school of robotic fish darting through the vacuum.
3. “You’re young,” his coworker finally said, “so live like it. You get to be my age and it’s memories of those mistakes you made as a kid that keep you going. Knowing we were young and dumb and still survived to be something vaguely respectable… it reminds you of how much better you’ll be in a few more years.”
4. Horse hooves and carriage wheels against newly cobbled streets are still unusual enough they wake her every time a coach passed in the night.
5. Apartments in the city that allow pets are only slightly more rare than ones that allow magic. She glared at the website for a few minutes and then grudgingly increased the price range to allow both.