1. Two horses are needed for a divination: one white, one black, and no tribe rides out into the desert without them to foresee the way.
2. He watches the sunrise in his rearview mirror and for a moment he pretends it’s setting his past on fire.
3. It still takes almost a year to reach Mars, but now there are plenty of stops along the way. They’ve turned the trip into a cruse of sorts, with faux-landfall adventures at each station, spaced a few weeks apart.
4. “You’re the one that volunteered to help, now stop being so squeamish and hand me the bone saw.”
5. The storm grows until the whole horizon is covered in angry clouds. Fed by the magic released on the dragon’s death, it churns up from the seabed in neverending waves of superheated steam.