1. “I don’t suppose you’d mind moving your elephant?” He hesitantly tapped the side of the intricate clockwork beast, trying to get their attention.
2. The engine’s a collection of parts from a dozen different worlds. Some had broken, but others she’d traded away because out on the rim, homeworld tech was still rarer than butterflies.
3. At first they think the churning clouds are dust, kicked up by the massive herd’s migration… but when they get closer they can taste the bitter tones of magic on the wind.
4. Wednesdays are double coupon days and if she’s careful she can manipulate the colorful strips of advertising into a free (or nearly free) hoard of luxuries.
5. It’s a ruthless harvest, keeping the refugee ship alive. Each stop strips the islands near barren of anything edible, leaving only a handful of fauna and flora to repopulate in their wake.