1. Her mind has the stillness of a dead lake and he walks through the waters, desperately searching for signs of life.
2. The target planet’s gravity is twice earth normal and they spin up the ship slowly in the last few years so the colonists can adapt.
3. Raindrops blur the suburbs into a soft kaleidoscope of misery.
4. “She was my mother. You? You were just her vain attempt at buying salvation through good deeds.”
5. The sun burns away the fog faster than they expected and their ships fade into sight still far from the shore.